VERO BEACH, FL – The Indian River County Chapter of the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) recently donated $3,000.00 to The Veterans Council of Indian River County’s Upward American Veterans Committee to help local veterans.
The Council’s Upward American Veteran or “UAV” Committee has provided financial assistance to hundreds of local veterans since its creation in 2012. The MOAA donation was used to help in the following instances:
- A local honorably discharged and disabled veteran with 4 school aged children was helped when school clothing and school supplies for his children were purchased for $346.63. At the time the veteran and his wife were unemployed – now both are employed.
- Rent of $1,000.00 was recently paid for USMC honorably discharged veteran mother of 2 while she seeks employment.
- This summer an honorably discharged veteran with limited income experienced higher utilities costs, an increase in his monthly rent fees, and his vehicle, used for working, required repairs. His $366.22 electric bill was paid.
- Similarly, a $289.17 electric bill and a $33.86 water bill were paid for another Indian River County veteran whose financial stability was threatened when his vehicle required unexpected automotive repairs.
- A Navy Veteran and his wife recently moved from Martin County to Indian River County. The couple were able to fully pay their new lodging’s security and last month’s rent, but were then unable to pay their first month’s rent. The first month’s rent of $1095.00 was paid for these new residents.
MOAA (Military Officers Association of America) is the nation’s largest and most influential association of military officers. It is an independent, nonprofit, politically nonpartisan organization. Learn more about MOAA at http://www.moaa.org.
The Veterans Council of Indian River County is as a non-government, collaborative 503(C)(3) established in 1987 to support veterans and their families. The Council provides emergency financial assistance, transition assistance, resource connection and transportation services to the VA Medical Center in West Palm Beach and to appointments locally. Learn more about the Veterans Council at https://www.veteranscouncilirc.org